Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Retreat

My retreat starts tomorrow.  Here is a poem I find fitting.

FOR THREE DAYS

Not many teachers in this world
Can give you as much enlightenment
In one year

As sitting all alone, for three days,
In your closet
Would
Do.

That means not leaving.
Better get a friend to help with
A few sandwiches
And
The chamber
Pot.

And no reading in there or writing poems,
That would be cheating:
Aim high - for a 360 degree
Detox.

This sitting alone, though, is
Not recommended

If you are normally
Sedated

Or have ever been under a doctor's
Surveillance because of your
Brain.

Dear one,
Don't let Hafiz fool you-

A ruby is buried
Here.

From The Gift: Poems by Hafiz the Great Sufi Master, translated by Daniel Ladinsky.

2 comments:

Maggid said...

Beautiful!
Thank You

Belle said...

I read a book by a man who went up a mountain to spend 40 days and 40 nights alone with God. He had to leave early since he was hurt, but he made it about 30 days I think. Anyway, he had an amazing experience with God on that mountain. Ever since I read it, I have thought about doing something similar.