Sunday, April 3, 2011

Fishing

I find fishing to be a contemplative practice.  Totally focused.  No thinking.  Be-ing in nature.  Be-ing in and with God.  It feeds my soul and refreshes my spirit.

I find fishing to be an act of violence, especially when catch-and-release, as I practice.  Harming the fish for no reason other than my enjoyment.  Exploiting nature.

Yet with a post-modern perspective, I can rationalize fishing with the "both/and," and I tell myself that perhaps one day I may fish without hooks ... just not yet.

And I have a feeling that in this regard, the fish may be linear thinkers - very clearly discerning the proper path.

3 comments:

Belle said...

I'm afraid my brain never shuts up and I find it hard to relax at fishing. I'm glad you enjoy it, I do love to be out in nature.

oil painting lessons said...

I like your blog!...Daniel

ToBlog today said...

Indeed, fishing can be meditative and relaxing. Altough, I've never played with fish, I've fished for consumption. Not sure which practice is better.

Enjoying your blog : )