Sunday, April 10, 2011

Surprise

Each time we have gone to our place in the country over the past ten years, I have been surprised and delighted to see something new (to me anyway). This past week was no exception. I saw a hanging bird's nest. I did not know birds constructed nests in this fashion. How clever. Marvelous indeed.


I read once that perhaps the best name for God is surprise. I wonder how I may be surprising people (sometimes I even surprise myself), and I wonder if I am attentive enough to other people to be surprised. I often welcome the surprises that God wishes to bring ... many times the surprises are things or happenings that I never could have imagined ... and always a gift in some way. Reminds me of a short poem from my book, Everyday Sacred.

     Surprise

     If you live in today
     you will welcome the surprise of tomorrow

3 comments:

Maggid said...

Hey, thanks for the photo - giving all of us a glimpse, too . .
-g-

Belle said...

I love surprises from God, like when I saw an owl on the house next door, or a turkey buzzard sitting by the road and a cyote running through a field. I love the little nest you found. It looks like a Weaver's nest, but I really don't know.

ToBlog today said...

I had a friend who described these magnificent moments in our life as souvenirs to be treasured.

Nature demonstrates our true beauty.