Saturday, January 22, 2011

Austin

My great nephew was recently baptized and many family members participated in a beautifully created ceremony.  I was invited to write a poem as my contribution to the ritual and so I wish to share it with you. 

Welcome, child, welcome,
to the fullness of life,
to goodness,
to love, from love,
to the surprises of God.

Challenge us, child, challenge us,
to be authentic and honest,
to love you when it is difficult,
to set you free when we would rather cling,
to encourage you to take risk when we
      would rather keep you safe,
to be patient and kind always.

Bless us, child, bless us,
with your laughter and smile,
with your needs and wants,
with your struggle for independence and self-discovery,
with your successes and failures,
with growing into the fullness of yourself.

Delight us, child, delight us,
with your questions,
your friendships,
your love affairs,
your kindness and generosity,
and with your passions.

Celebrate, child, celebrate,
with us,
for today we honor that you have already
      changed the world for the better,
and we are grateful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sharing this with my girls! Beautiful!

Unknown said...

I'm sharaing this too! Well done, Clarence!

kt