Thursday, January 27, 2011

Journey together


I started another Month of Guided Prayer retreat in everyday life this week.  What a gift!  What a privilege to companion others. 

This is my 36th retreat serving as coordinator of this ministry, and I have come to know that each retreat is different, and each is good.  As I anticipated starting this one, it felt like going on a pilgrimage – a deep desire to encounter the holy, expecting and welcoming the surprises that God may offer. 

And so here I am, not in some far away place that is holy, but instead it is with these people near my home many of whom I have never met, and we journey together for awhile on holy ground.

This is a poem that came to me while on the last retreat I led, which started the first week of Advent.
 
Advent

Hosanna angels have arrived for another visit.
We sit in the holy of holies.
Spirits surround with comforting presence,
loving, being,
goodness permeates all.
Doesn’t matter that they are invisible
or that you may not feel them.
They are here.
They are healing our wounds,
anointing and praying,
and healing our wounds,
with God,
in God,
from God,
to God.

And the Hosanna songs that began
two thousand years ago continue.

Sing along if you like.
Rejoice.
Even in the cold, poverty and isolation,
rejoice,
for God is with us.

7 comments:

Belle said...

Oh, I like this! Especially the part about the Hosanna song continuing. Beautiful.

Maggid said...

Singing Right Along with You,
Beautiful Poem,
-g-

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Sr Crystal Mary Lindsey said...

This makws my heart sing!!
God Bless you Clarence.

Jill said...

Keep singing praises to God! May he bless you in all your endeavors.

Unknown said...

Well, hello, Clarence,

Thank you for dropping by my site.
I used to be the youth director and a Sunday school teacher for my church but, when my mother became ill I had to quit so my dad could get away once a week and go to church (he had to lock himself in with her for 3 years. His only respite was from me on weekends).
Then after Mom died Dad fell and I retired so I could help him. (He will be 100 next month). I am now his 24/7/365 caretaker. It is my mission. However, I do long to go on retreats again and I pray I get to go to our mission in Africa some day.
kt

Unknown said...

I didn't sing along because I am a contemporary Christian music lover. In fact, J.J. Heller popped into my mind when I saw your name.

Right now K-Love is playing in the background. It is always on in my house. Check out my blog on Sunday's when I post my favorite songs.
kt