Monday, January 24, 2011

Sun, surf, and a good book



This beautiful photo was taken by my daughter on  a recent trip I took to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic with my family.  I enjoyed sitting on the beach in 80 degree weather under a thatched roof being with the sights and sounds of the ocean … and reading.  I highly recommend three books from that trip - "Tattoos on the Heart" by Gregory Boyle, "Half the Sky" by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, and "Acts of Faith" by Eboo Patel.  

Reading the following words of Rumi in Patel’s book brought tears to my eyes.

I am not from the east or west
not up from the ground
or out of the ocean
my place is placeless
a trace of the traceless
I belong to the beloved

2 comments:

Belle said...

"I belong to the beloved." How beautiful.

Unknown said...

Yes....simply beautiful!
kt