Friday, February 11, 2011

Music

Blessing and curse.  Someone gave me Lady Gaga's The Fame CD for Christmas (which I had asked for).  Of course the giver's generosity and my receiving the gift were blessings, but also it is a gift to expand my horizons and music is a great way to do that.  Some of the songs draw me in to singing along and "dancing" while driving in my car. (Perhaps it is time for me to produce a video for Youtube?)

The curse is that I cannot get these songs out of my head.  I turn off the CD player, but the songs continue playing.  I wake up in the middle of the night, and the songs are still playing.  Some may consider this music superficial, but in my judgment it has been crafted quite skillfully - once in your head, it stays there.  Kudos to you, Lady Gaga.

I once heard that all cultures have developed some form of spiritual practices, and also that all cultures have developed some form of music - and these two developments are related.  Both are fundamentally spiritual.  Both are related to finding meaning, and I would say that both relate to a sense of getting in touch with the fact that we are all connected.

When I sing along, perhaps I can empathize with the feelings the song evokes, and I feel connected.  Tapping along with the rhythm is a physical expression of being connected.  I recall when I played in a band in high school, it was the sense of being part of a group and being interconnected that I enjoyed most.

May you be blessed by continuing to make new connections.

1 comment:

Belle said...

I am going to get this CD. It sounds great. I love music that gets me moving.